Tuesday, March 11, 2008

I LOVE this lamp. And some other stuff, too. (And one thing I don't love.)

I've been searching for a table lamp for a while. At no point did I ever say, "Self, you need a table lamp for your living room." But I would find myself looking at them at all the stores I went to whether retail or resale.

Now, you should know that I'm not a patient shopper. I hate to do it. So my "looking" consisted of a quick dash through the lamp section. I don't dwell over purchases. I'll know if I like it or not within seconds of spotting something.

So imagine my surprise when at Salvation Army, I found the perfect lamp for me. I was about 1/3 of the way through the lamp row, saw it, and said, "That's MY lamp." It was $8.99. Yay!

So, here it is -- the lamp that set my heart aflutter:


It's like a ginormous flower standing on my end table. And I LOVE IT. Love.It. When I bought the thing, it had an on-off only switch in it. So I stopped by the hardware store and picked up a three-way switch and a three-way fluorescent bulb *cuz I'm all about the energy effeciency, people!* I changed the switch myself and IT WORKS (electrical genius, I am - who knew?!?)!

Anyway, the thing weighs a ton...made out of metal with a milk-glass shade. (I think that's the proper name for it - whatever, it's white glass.)

I'm curious about what era this is. Any clues, anyone? I couldn't find a manufacturer's mark on it anywhere. I'm thinking mid-century modern (hehe! that just cracks me up!) but my knowledge of decorating trends/eras is dismally non-existent.

After Salvation Army and the hardware store, I stopped at Dollar Tree. And guess what they had? You'll never guess, so I'll tell you. They had big Cadbury chocolate bars with Irish Creme filling. Jealous much? Yeah, I knew it.

I remember when I was a girl mom used to buy Breck shampoo and conditioner. They had some at D.T. so I bought a bottle of each for old-times sake. Yeah. Mistake. The shampoo didn't suds up and the conditioner wasn't very, well, um...conditioning. I wonder if I could return it? I wouldn't foist this stuff off on anyone I know - they'd hate me forever.

Hoping to see Juno this weekend. So there's that to look forward to. After yet ANOTHER test in my Saturday class. (Is this semester over yet?)

No comments: