Thursday, February 19, 2009

Fruit bread

I'm a bit obsessed with the fruit bread!

It started with banana bread, morphed into blueberry bread and was capped off with pineapple bread. I'm wanting to try apple-cinnamon or cranberry-walnut next.

Seriously. I need to be stopped. Or you all need to offer suggestions as to what type of fruit I should try. No citrus though.

This is the recipe I used (when I made the blueberry and the pineapple bread, I increased the butter to 1/2 cup):

Banana Bread Recipe

Ingredients

  • 3 or 4 ripe bananas, smashed
  • 1/3 cup melted butter
  • 1 cup sugar (can easily reduce to 3/4 cup)
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • Pinch of salt
  • 1 1/2 cups of all-purpose flour

Method

No need for a mixer for this recipe. Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C). With a wooden spoon, mix butter into the mashed bananas in a large mixing bowl. Mix in the sugar, egg, and vanilla. Sprinkle the baking soda and salt over the mixture and mix in. Add the flour last, mix. Pour mixture into a buttered 4x8 inch loaf pan. Bake for 1 hour. Cool on a rack. Remove from pan and slice to serve.

----------

S and I continue to do very well with our No Eating Out Month. The only rule-breaker will be me: I'm giving up fried foods for Lent - so Fat Tuesday I'm buying french fries somewhere. Maybe a couple of places. Because I LOVE me some fried foods.

3 comments:

Coal Miner's Granddaughter said...

Dude. You're giving up fried foods for Lent? I would go straight to Captain D's for fried fish 'n chips with gallons of malt vinegar.

Just sayin'.

And I vote cranberry and walnut.

Badger said...

Dude! Try your basic bread recipe there with raspberries and a bit of lemon zest (and no bananas, obviously). You won't regret it, yo.

penny said...

Strawberries! I don't know how well they would work, but I love strawberries. Maybe peaches, just for something different. Cranberry would be good as well. Apples? That would probably require a food processor though. I have huge home-canned jar of apple pie filling that would probably be great to use for bread.

I'm going to try this, though I'll probably be the only one here to eat any. More for me though!

Mom sent me a recipe for blueberry AND banana bread. Not sure how well I would like both together. Though maybe a fruit cocktail bread would be good. Or is that too close to fruitcake? That would not be good.