Sunday, June 28, 2009

Book the 19th: Flipped

Flipped, by Wendelin Van Draanen, is a quick, fun read. Here's the cover blurb:

The first time she saw him, she flipped. The first time he saw her, he ran.

And from the second grade to the seventh, that's how it was. She says: "My Bryce. Still walking around with my first kiss." He says: "It's been six years of strategic avoidance and social discomfort."

But in the eighth grade, their views of the world -- and each other -- turn upside down. Hey says: "I'd spent so many years avoiding Juli Baker that I'd never really looked at her, but now I couldn't stop." And she says: "I felt a cold, hard knot tighten in my heart. I was through with Bryce Loski."

Is there hope for happiness in junior high?

Have you flipped?
I mention this book specifically (when I've not mentioned a lot of the other books on my 30 Books in 09 list) is because it's being made into a movie. And the movie is being filmed here in my area.

The movie, directed by Rob Reiner (how COOL is that!?), is being set in the late 50s and early 60s.

And who owns a 1961 Chevy Impala?

S, that's who.

And guess who gets to take his 1961 Chevy Impala to the set on Monday and Tuesday so it can be one of the "extras"?

S, that's who.

And guess who is taking some time off work to go watch a movie being made?

Me.

That's who.

2 comments:

Ree said...

Seriously? THAT is awesome! I used to stop by this coffee place down the road where Drew Barrymore's film crews stopped every morning. Never saw her, but they kept this little family owned shop in business.

It's exciting that they're picking the area for movies...

penny said...

I was wondering when it was happening. Good for him, and lucky you for getting to watch!