Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Lent: Day 1

I'm off the fried foods, y'all.

That means I can't eat the left-over paczki sitting at home. Because it's FRIED. For the next 40 days, I shall abstain from Chili's boneless buffalo wings, chocolate-covered fry cakes from the bakery, FRENCH FRIES. POTATO CHIPS that aren't baked. Hell. You get the picture.

If it's fried, I'm not eating it*.

I totally pigged out yesterday: I had a fish sandwich with cheese, large french fries, and ginormous unsweetened iced tea from Wendy's**. I have to say that I've pretty much been fried-food free since February 1 because of the whole "no eating out" experiment S and I are doing - so after eating that sandwich and those french fries? I felt like shit. I felt like I weighed about a thousand pounds and that my skin was really greasy. I was tired and crabby and just...blah.

Here's hoping my Lenten sacrifice will take hold like last year's did***.

*This does not include, however, chicken & pork chops & things like that that I do up in olive oil at home. Because I can control the type and how much oil is used.

**This was the one exception to our No Eating Out month - Fat Tuesday lunch would see me cramming as much fast-food fried foods into my pie hole as I could fit. I had planned on eating out last night, too, but because I felt like shit after lunch, I made dinner at home instead. Yay me.

***I've said it a hundred times on here before: I gave up red meat and I never went back to it.

4 comments:

Coal Miner's Granddaughter said...

I think you'll do great! Have you watched Morgan Spurlock's "Super-size Me?" Seriously. Watch it. And read "Fast Food Nation." You'll never look at fast food the same way ever again.

Anonymous said...

I've given up sweets for Lent. Dear Lord, what have I done?

Forgive me, Frau Mueller!

penny said...

Good luck! I think you'll do just fine.

I've been eating my own home-cooked meals for the past 2 weeks (except for 2 Jr. Bacon Cheeseburgers about a week and a half ago). I think I'm going to take a break and get some takeout tomorrow.

HEATHER said...

I forgot all about Ash Wednesday until I read it on another blog. That's horrible of me, but my excuse and I do need one is that this flu has hammered me!