Sunday, March 1, 2009

Derby Girl

Last spring/summer, parts of a movie were filmed in my town. It's set in Bodeen, Texas with large parts taking place in Austin. It's going to be very interesting to see how they make my town look like Austin. (If any of you see the movie (and I will because, HULLO, parts filmed in my town!) and you happen to spot a glass-front building with EARL'S DISCOUNT FURNITURE in big white letters? That is, literaly, 1/4 mile from my house. I'll try to take a picture. Or maybe a video a la Eurolush.)

Anyway.

Last week I found out the movie -- Whip It! -- is based on a Shauna Cross book called Derby Girl.

Being the geek that I am, I checked Derby Girl out of the library and devoured it this afternoon and evening (book 8 in my '30 Books' goal).

What can I say? It's a book about a 16 year old girl, quite the misfit, who finds her calling in roller derby. It was a quick read and I did not hate it.

Probably because I remember those growing pains and the anxiety and fuck-ups of trying to figure yourself out.

----------

S and I are officially done with our month of not eating out. Overall, it was a huge success. We celebrated with dinner at the local watering hole. Yummy black-bean burger, sweet potato fries, and ginormous Stella Artois. And you know what? That dinner out was special because we hadn't eaten out in a month. Who knew? It was like we were on a date.

5 comments:

penny said...

Do you know when it's coming out in the theatre? IMDB doesn't have the US release date. Hopefully it will come out this summer so I can see it at the drive-in.

There was a movie filmed by me once. (Not in WV, of course.) One of the apartments in the movie was filmed on the corner of the block next to my work. Some of the other scenes were filmed a few streets away. One of the set trailers was parked in front of my apartment the whole time.

Congrats on finishing your not-eating-out month! Were those fries baked?

Badger said...

That begs the question of why they didn't just FILM it in Austin, since Austin is a huge film town and they are always shooting SOMETHING here. But whatever.

And hey, congrats on making it through a month without eating out! So are you guys going back to your old eating-out schedule? Or are you cutting back permanently?

Coal Miner's Granddaughter said...

Very cool! Remind us when the movie comes out and I'll definitely go see it!

Duyvken said...

That black bean burger sounds good. I bought black beans a couple of months ago but keep forgetting to get them soaking the night before I want to eat them. Such a pain!!

Anonymous said...

That's awesome you made it a whole month without eating out! Respect.

Movie making in town? Aiiii! You need to get a part as an extra! Go! Hurry up!

Then we can all say we knew you...waaaaay back when.