Friday, June 5, 2009

Book the 17th...

The month of May was a weird one when it came to my reading. I read a ton of little romance novels that have been lurking on my shelves for years. They were all books I'd read before so I've not counted them in my 30 Books of 2009 quest.

I'm also not counting A Long Way Down by Nick Hornby which I only got halfway through before I decided I'd regret spending time to finish it. (I could not stand three of the four characters. And the one character I did like began to get on my nerves.) This book marks the end of my relationship with Mr. Hornby. I've tried to like his books. Alas, it is not to be. He irks me. Next time I see a Nick Hornby novel, I shall leave it where it lay and shall be happier for it.

So.

Book 17.

Made In The U.S.A. by Billie Letts. This book started out very dark. It took me places I didn't want to go, but lead me out safely in the end. But that's Billie Letts for you. Nothing fancy, just a good story involving some wonderful characters. And the names! Her characters always have the most unusual names. Lutie and Fate McFee, for example. And Floy.

So! Onward! I've got a book club book to read, along with one I won (!!!) via a blog contest. Hopefully I can knock both of those out within a week or so.

Not to mention the DOZENS of books on my 'to be read' shelves (yet I never have anything to read. Funny how that works, isn't it?).

Happy reading!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks for stopping by the ol' penguin! Good luck with the new books. I have the same problem of piles of material, yet "nothing" to read. Except my problem is a short attention span. What were we talking about again??

word verification: rehersis. Feminist rhesus monkey??

penny said...

I wondered if you'd ben reading since your list wasn't updated. I keep forgetting to tell you that I've read the first 2 books in Suzanne Brockmann's Troubleshooters series. Excellent! I can't wait to get the rest of them.
I have 2 boxes of unread books, yet I, too, have nothing to read.